Iceman Polar participants can apply as an individual and join a team, or enter with friends as a team of 2, 3 or 4 people. Participants may request a professional Tangent Expeditions guide, at an additional cost.
There is limited capacity for individuals with suitable experience taking part in the challenge solo. Please contact us if this is of interest to you.
Participants should have the following experience:
- At least ten days camping experience (snow camping not needed)
- Fit and capable of long mountain days
- Ability to keep going when the going gets tough!
The following skills will help in the Iceman Polar event, but full training will be given once in Greenland:
- Winter (snow-based) camping experience
- Use of a white gas fueled camping stove
- Ski touring or cross country ski experience
- Skills for roped glacier travel and crevasse rescue
- Map reading skills
The event is well managed and supported and there is no need for previous arctic, ski or snow camping experience. Ski-touring (or snowshoeing) with a pulk is easy to get the hang of and most sections of the event are flat, with uphill sections. However, there are two areas of steeper downhill over the course of the route and we do recommend that if you don't have experience of skiing downhill runs in a ski resort to blue level, that you wear snowshoes for these sections (Tangent can provide these free of charge).